Tuesday 18 November 2008

Story and Concept of game - Abeo Animus ut Animus

Right, I finally came up with my game concept properly a few days ago. Here's an extract from my Game Treatment that illustrates my idea:

...the overarching story concerns the character Animus – a character that the player never sees in human form, but who has the ability to transform into a multitude of different creatures (the creatures the player are able to play as). She is part of a dying race called the Obtineo and must traverse the world’s harsh environments to discover why her race is rapidly dwindling and why various settlements are going dark. In her various guises, Animus will be able to talk and interact with other characters/objects and the player will be privy to her inner thoughts. This will hopefully create an emotional bond from player to Animus and make the player want to see the conclusion to Animus’ story.

Yeah I like Latin ^^ I was pretty pleased with the game title which basically translates as "I go from one to another" which I thought fitted the character's morphing ability quite well (wow, morphing.....anybody remember Animorphs?). I decided on a female character as - being a female myself - it would be easier to make her creature forms (hmm I need a good Latin word better than "creature forms") more feminine. I had the idea of creating a sort of emblem on her skin or face (tatoos or make-up for example) that stay when she transforms so that you always know that YOU (the player) are still controlling the same character. Think of it as like an imprint or symbol you'll get used to and feel familar with.

No comments: