Tuesday 18 November 2008

Some sketches and thoughts

I've been more organising my research than actually DOING research over the past few days >.< It's hard organising drawings to scan in, drawings to brush up in PS, which to colour (if any) and then rough skecthes that show your development and all that. Then you have to put them all in corresponding folders....bleh. Anyways, I decided to give my two current creatures - Jersey Devil/horse/dragon thing and snake/naga/goddess thing - names. With added picture goodness!





This is my Jersey Devil-based creature. I decided to give her the WIP title "Forest Walker" as her natural habitat will be the deep forest. This comes from the fact that the JD lives in the Pine Barrens, a pretty dense, creepy forest in in New Jersey (hence the name), USA and the old Pagan legends of unicorns running around in forests etc. I'm want to make her very horse-like (long face, hooves, difficult-to-draw legs T_T) but give her qualities that raise her above being a horse creature. For example, I'm thinking of making her bipedal (but also able to run swiftly on all fours) and that her front two "feet" will have hooves that snap back and reveal very human-like hands. As this is still the research phase, I'm still not thinking very seriously about her design but it's good to start somewhere.



This is my snake creature which I have dubbed "None Walker" (hey I thought it was clever). Her habitat includes the dense, thick pungent swamps and rainforests of the world. Her serpent-body allows her to weaves in and out of huge tree roots, under rivers and streams and basically areas creatures with legs can't go. Notice the thick black markings around the eye and face - I'm starting to think about the tatoos or markings I mentioned earlier. For some reason I started drawing Egyptian-ish symbols (such as the Scarab's wings) on Animus' poor confused face.

I'm still researching my deep-sea creature. Watched the Blue Planet the other day (I love David Attenborough) one concerning "The Deep". There's some crazy stuff at the bottom of the sea, like lakes.

Yes, there are lakes at the bottom of the Abyssal Plain. Look it up.

No comments: